Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Books!

Mmm.  Books.  You know, my opinion of people has gone up and down a lot in my life, but my relationship with my books has always been consistently, reliably awesome.  Yes, that makes me a big nerd.  But it doesn't matter if you decide not to like me for being a nerd, because I have my books to keep me company.  I love them.

One day, back in 2006, I was sitting in an airport with Tim, re-reading Heart of Darkness.  This dark masterpiece by Joseph Conrad was placed on a list of the Top 100 Novels of the 20th Century, and the version I was reading happened to have the whole list printed in the back.  Now, I've been a reader for most of my life.  I've read a lot of good books.  I was shocked to see that I had only read 3 of the books on the list, and had only even heard of about 20.

So a new vision for my 20s was born.  I decided to start reading the whole list, and I made a goal to finish by the time I turn 30.  I visit our wonderful library about once a week because I just like it there (and want Ellery to like it too), and I try to get through 1-2 books each month.  I am currently 72 in, with only 28 to go in the next 25 months!  Totally doable.

I would really like to post the list on here with my progress, but I have no idea on the best way to do that.  I'll work on it.

Maybe I'll write some thoughts on each too?  Hmm.  I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime, here's my favorite reviewer of The List.  He really hasn't done anything new in the last year or so, but I keep hoping he'll pop back up someday.  Meet Doug.  Good stuff!

For now we'll just stay current.
Last Book:  Appointment in Samarra by John O'Hara
Current Book:  The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington
And because I just remembered that I actually finished that one before bed last night...
Next Book:  The Ginger Man by JP Donleavy


Mmm...I loved The Magnificent Ambersons.  Primarily because of the name.  And the author's name.  Booth Tarkington.  That's just fantastic.  Do you hear me out there, Bowdeys who are soon to have a boy whose name has not been decided upon yet?  Booth Tarkington!  It's perfect.  Uncle Booth Bowdey.  I love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment