Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rooty Tubers



This is one of Tim's favorite sides...along with pretty much any version of roasted potatoes that I can come up with.  He usually calls it 'that roasted mix of veggies' or 'the one with the different potatoes,' so it was time to actually come up with a name.  While adding the week's menu on here yesterday I wanted to call them Tuberlicious, but then I figured out that carrots and parsnips are actually roots, not tubers.  Roasted Rooty Tubers were named!

You will need:
2-3 red potatoes
1-2 small sweet potatoes
2-3 carrots
1-2 parsnips
(you can vary the amounts to make as much as you want. 
Just try to keep the proportions similar to each other)

Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
(I make mine...future post...)
Spices of Choice...
(I modify these to match whatever I'm serving them with)
Last night I used:
Crunchy minced garlic (made with the garlic EVOO)
Onion Powder
Salt & Pepper
Parsley... just because it's green and looks nice.

Scrub your roots & tubers

I only used 1 of these sweet potatoes...I put the other two into the oven whole to roast while everything else was cooking so that I could add some effort-free, delicious, healthy food to my lunch today.  :)
I think I also added one more red potato...it just needed a little more.

I peel the parsnips but not the carrots.  I don't know why, but it's what I do.


Chop everything into inch-sized pieces or smaller...just get them into a similar, bite-sized state.


Toss them in a big bowl with the garlic-infused oil.
This stuff is so good!  I've added EVOO and garlic separately to dishes for years, but since discovering how easy and delicious this business is, I've never looked back.  
Next time I make a batch, I'll show you how I do it!


Add your spices, toss again, spread in a single layer on a roasting pan or cookie sheet.
These crunchy garlic bits are a side-product of infusing the garlic into the olive oil.  
SO so so good with oil & vinegar on a plate for dipping crusty bread!





Roast at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes or so.

I let these go a bit long on one side...normally I turn them a little more often so that they brown evenly...nursing babies sometimes make my cooking less visually appealing.  Still taste great though!

Serve 'em up!  I love them with grilled peppery steak alongside tomato & red onion salad.  Tim's family usually serves steak with grilled onions and mushrooms, so we alternate that with the tomatoes for his sake.
(the Heartys are tomato and onion fans!)
Mmm...I wish I had more of that salad to eat today...it's so good!


No comments:

Post a Comment